It sounds like your pond has blanket weed
How to be sure
Your pond is covered in a green stringy algae, it sticks to the side of the pond and clogs up your pump and filter.
Step 1 – Treat your pond
- Remove as much of the blanketweed by hand as possible. Treat the entire pond using one of Blagdon’s effective blanketweed treatments: Clean Pond Pods, Pond Blanketweed Algaway, or Pond Balance.
- Test your pond for high nitrate levels and treat any water quality issues.
- Follow any re-treatment advise on pack.
- Check all your equipment is working properly – especially filters. Carry out any maintenance needed, or replace faulty or broken parts.
- You can also treat the pond with Sludge Buster once the algae is dead to break it down for the filter to clear.
Remember, blanketweed can take up to four weeks to clear, so persevere with treatment dosing. Once cleared, continue treating regularly to sustain the active ingredients that will prevent re-growth.
Step 2 – Support your fish
Blagdon water and algae treatments can safely be used with Blagdon fish medications.
Only use one fish medication at a time.